Law Practice Management Asked and Answered Blog
Category: Lawyer networking
Jul 15, 2009
I am having problems with effective client development. I believe that I need to do more networking and become involve in professional organizations. Suggestions?
Definitely. However, here are a few ideas and guidelines.
- Have a real interest in the organization you are joining.
- Attend meetings regularly. Miss three monthly meetings in a year and you might as well skipped them all.
- Get on a committee and into a leadership position. This lets you establish credibility with prospects and referral sources.
- Evaluate the culture of the organization and confirm that networking and marketing is acceptable within the group.
- After a few years there will be a point of diminishing returns and that is when you should move on and start the process all over.
John W. Olmstead, MBA, Ph.D, CMC