Developing Metrics and Dashboards for a Personal Injury Law Firm
Many of the billing and case management systems do a poor job of providing key metrics and dashboards that can be used to manage and control actual operations going forward. In a firm such as yours it is critical that you actively manage your inventory of cases, your pipeline, manage workflow, and insure that you are obtaining adequate return on your marketing investment. Here are a few thoughts:
- Think about what you need to know to manage your operations.
- What summary metrics (10 or less) should be on your dashboard and will serve as indicators as to whether you are on course?
- Use a spreadsheet to develop a dashboard report of these key metrics that are extracted from your accounting and case management systems. Include charts and graphs.
- Assign someone the responsibility for preparing the report on at least a monthly basis on the same day of the month.
- Use the report as control tool, investigate problem areas, and take corrective action in real time.
Click here for sample dashboard
Click here for our blog on financial management
Click here for articles on other topics